Reed Drury Update 12/25/2017

Day 1 (India)

When I first arrived in India I was shocked at how early the culture was moving.  We got out of the airport at 5 am with no sun even close to breaching the sky and there were more people than a normal weekend day in the city. Everything is fast pace during travel, seems like everyone’s in a hurry to be somewhere. The technology is about 10 years behind (at least) and I’m staying in one of the nicer areas. Driving through what I thought was the slums it looked as though poverty had made its home there for a long time. Wild life is a part of every day culture here and you will see it constantly, animals are almost as populated as people here. The first day I was shown my room and then left for the day alone in something resembling a jail cell with metal beds and bucket showers. I still found myself being grateful for the opportunity to one be alone and once again build my relationship through intimacy and full dependance on God and two because the missionaries responsible for my salvation and my countries salvation all endured something that would make this place look like a million dollar estate. I’ve been alone all day so far with a few books and a roof top view of about a half block of the neighborhood. I find my mood becoming a lot different inside but taking my books and my prayers outside puts a smile on my face and a feeling of God's presence. I’ll be staying away from the others in my team for about 3 days because I’m the only male. I plan to use this time to the best of my ability and cherish the moments of silence with God. I find myself looking forward to the day when I have times of different activities such as Bible reading, listening to worship, listening to sermons, going outside, reading, cleaning, showering, etc. I think my brain works better this way. I’m going to try and journal every day as a way of self reflection. God's got a heart for India, and I can’t wait to share his thoughts and emotions with the people. P.s I’ve killed about 50 spiders and I hope tomorrow it’s only 30.


Day 2 (India)

I woke up around 4:30 am to take the usual bucket shower and start the day with a devotional. Reading through John chapter 15-16 was refreshing to my soul, the Holy Spirit is our representation of Jesus and seeing how the Trinity is talked about by Jesus is amazing. At 5:30 my ride picked me up, and we walked through the neighborhood to a main street where we road by auto, which is a three wheel local transportation. We went to the local river which has been dry for over 20 years. The river has been a place of sacrifice both for animals and humans. There are probably 30 visible coffins on the river bed as we walked along the bridge of the river praying for the city and that the people would humble themselves and accept Jesus as the one true God. There has been recent water in the river but much of it is still dry and covered. It was a beautiful time of prayer. I can imagine the streams of living water covering the sacrificial offerings as a testimony of God's power. I’m sure the enemy was trying to attack us, but I felt nothing but confidence in Christ and his love for these people. Then we gathered to share words of the Lord over some authentic chai. After this I was taken home for a few hours where I wrote a sermon over Ephesians 3:12-20. Had a wonderful time in the presence of the Lord with peace drawing me to sleep. After I woke up we went to the girls' house where we had worship and intercession. Although I am sick, I feel his presence all around. The culture is amazing and very hospitable. Tomorrow we will have outreach.

Day 3 (India)

Road a bicycle to the girls' house thinking I would wipe out the entire time. It’s super intimidating. Ate breakfast and read a little Grahm Cooke. The story of Jonathan and his armor bearer is wild. Got some great insight about friendship out of that. Today we went to the leper colony. These people have been isolated by society and are forbidden to enter the city. What a great time it was to love these people. The gift of physical touch was amazing to them; this is something they lack and miss. Nobody ever hugs them, so I took this opportunity and hugged every single one of them and prayed over so many. We did a skit and a few songs for them, and then I had the privilege of sharing the gospel with a translator. I trust God to bring an increase to the words spoken. Some were brought to tears because  of the affection we were able to show.  Love is so pure when there is nothing in return. We had the amazing opportunity to love without receiving anything in return except the sharing in God's love for them. Tonight we have Bible study at the host family's house. I have been reading Tozer recently and becoming very challenged by his thoughts, God bless that man. I bought a new testament dictionary for Greek and 5 Tozer books and 104 sermons book and a counseling Bible verse book. I’ve been reading a pretty good amount recently, and it’s been good. I’m excited to see where this trip leads next. God help me help others. Heard God.s voice in a really cool way. We had a Bible study at Charles house tonight and some locals came, and I was able to get a download from God. I felt like he wanted me to tell him that his little sister was going to be saved, so I asked him if he had a sister and he said yes and then I asked if she was a believer and he said she’s searching, and he said she was younger and I was able to share God’s heart for her and he was taken back. He said he used to lay hands on her while she was sleeping. So Lord save Preeti.

4 (India)

Woke up with tons of mosquito bites which was super annoying.  Had normal prayer and worship in the morning, and I read my Tozer book. I’m on chapter 4 now; he’s amazing and has really been challenging my view of God and taking him out of the box I put him in.  I now realize that is so wrong of me. James, the other guy here, is leaving for two days so I have to stay in a house all by myself which is not exciting for me. We got to go on outreach to a village out in the middle of nowhere. The kids love me. Almost 40-50 women asked for prayer for healing, and I’m faithful God will move. Everyone is so hungry for God. They just won’t accept his deity. After outreach I felt a little attacked spiritually but Daywe prayed, and I felt better. The weight of being alone was bothering me. The kids are truly amazing and so cute. I taught them all to do fist bumps as greetings, and I love it! We handed out saris which are like a dress, to all the women of the village. I have such a heart to see them touched.

Day 5 (India)

Didn’t sleep till maybe 3 am last night and was coughing so much I threw up. I don’t know if my asthma is being triggered or if I’m sick, but it’s horrible. I have had it ever since the fire at the base but last night it was so much worse. I still committed my every breath to God because he is the giver of all life. Without him I would be nothing so whether in sickness or in health I will praise him. Felt the presence of God in such a strong way this morning. They all prayed for me and sang over me and it was very touching when I felt God's love. Continuing to read Tozer's book and man he is so profound. He is challenging me, and I’ve had so many things I’ve been reading line up with my struggles that I just see God's hand in my studies and him speaking to me. Tonight we go back to one of the villages we went to last night to play with the kids, hand out clothes, sing songs and play games. Still feeling kind of sick but better.  I’ll be praying for my ability to sleep tonight. Rest is crucial. Today I started my fasting for outreach. I will be fasting every Friday and Tuesday. It’s going well but got kinda freaked out because my awareness of end times. But after talking with people it helps me so much. When I verbalize my thoughts I can see the errors. I’m questioning how come God is not healing me, but I will continue to worship in my trials.


Day 6 (India)

Today we had about 20 little kids come over for lunch, and we got to play with them and share the gospel. Everyone in this culture accepts prayer freely. I’m getting over my sickness and that’s helping my attitude but being tired on outreach is a killer. One of my teammates was taking a nap resting, so I decided to do her work she was assigned so she could rest, and I think it meant a lot to her. I’m trying to work on husband qualities here because I feel like it’s a good opportunity to see who I am. You are only as strong as when you’re tired and hungry in a different country with no luxury’s. Hah. Tomorrow is church, and I’m excited. We had worship practice tonight, and I’m grateful for being around musicians. Hopefully I keep sleeping well. The kids here are so amazing. I love hanging out with them.

Day 7 (India)

Today we had church, and I played in worship on the jmbe. I got 4 words from the Lord and 3 of them hit very, very well. One was radically on point,  so that’s amazing. Tonight we have a little pot luck thingy. I believe it will be good. It’s weird being in Christmas season without any friends or family. Today a team member made a comment that offended me, and instead of saying something else, I washed the dishes she was assigned to do and prayed for her. This wasn’t fun, but God told me to so I’m glad I obeyed and blessed her. I miss family and friends. but I trust God to develop me so much during this time. He’s been dealing with a lot in my heart about who he is and that’s really good because one wrong idea about God can change you’re entire belief and screw up everything.

8 (india)

It’s a little weird waking up on Christmas morning in an entirely different nation. The streets were still moving this morning. This country doesn’t take the day off for Christmas; the temple worshipers were still praising their gods, the dogs and cows were still eating the trash on the side of the road, the hotels which are places to buy food were still open and running with normal hours. It doesn’t really feel like Christmas. I walked over to our host family's house for a small worship and teaching.  After we enjoyed the usual rice cakes. No sausage, eggs,
bacon, pancakes or biscuits this morning. Although the tone is heavily different I am choosing to be happy because this is the first year in awhile where I have fully centered on Christ and the amazing miracle of him humbling himself to give us life. I’m so grateful that we get to reach out to the least of these. Today was probably my most emotional day so far. We packed shirts, pants and dresses for an entire leper colony. They never see people or get to touch people because others think they are cursed and contagious. As we handed out the clothes we told them about how they are temporary but that God's love is everlasting. We sang songs and they actually led a song praising Jesus for providing for them. We were able to pray and bless every single one of them as we handed the clothes out, with tears streaming down my face I felt God's heart for these lost peoples. His love overwhelmed me, and their choice to worship God during utter rejection and trial was way too powerful for God to not take the opportunity to show up. Here I am a 6”4 white guy with tattoos, long hair and beard balling my eyes out hugging these men, and I look up and they are crying with me. It was so beautiful to be able to give them the gift of physical touch and to share in the love of Jesus with them. I will forever remember today. I will always remember the faces and the eyes looking at me as they felt something so real that I can’t help but believe it will change their life

Reed will be doing an short intern with Rick Drury in March, followed by more training and discipleship at a school of worship in Orlando FL. Prayerful consideration for support is appreacated. Your giving can be sent to Peoria Christain Fellowship Church, 610 Abbington ST. Peoria IL 61603 Thank You.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Martin Luther King Jr.

  Martin Luther King Jr.  “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion...